Friday, November 12, 2010

They Didn't Say Who Won

Duck Pond

Postmarked 12 November 1947
Boston, MA


Message:
Hi MT. Today was a holiday, being Nov. 11, so I climbed to the top of Bunker Hill Monument (294 steps) 221 feet high. Good views from the windows at the top. Commemorates battle fought June 17, 1775, just before the declependence of indignation was signed by Abie Washington and Georgie Lincoln. The patriot army fit the limies but they didn't say who won! We musta lost, since we've been sending 'em money ever since! (Sorry! I forgot to sign my name!)
I have a series of postcards from this sender to Milbrey and/or Richard Turner. Many of them are altered on the front, which I often find charming (and do in this case). The message is about Bunker Hill Monument, which is indeed 221 feet high according to the National Park Service. The postcard itself, however, depicts Franklin Park, which was designed by Frederick Olmsted (who also designed New York's Central Park).

Thanks to Beth at The Best Hearts are Crunchy for hosting Postcard Friendship Friday!


3 comments:

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

A very early example of mail art. :)

Coffeedoff said...

I love seeing the messages on these old cards.I wonder who the people were.

Dorincard said...

You, deltiologic investigator! ...:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...