Wednesday, April 11, 2012

I'll Settle for Cokes

Tinker Field

Postmarked 11 April 1944
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Postcard Caption:
Greetings from Tinker Field, Oklahoma
Postcard Message:
Hello, girls. / This is where I am working now It's allright [sic] except that I can't get coffee without walking 8 blocks to the canteen. That's too far for me. I'll settle for cokes. / Fleeta
Tinker Field was established in 1942 during World War II. According to the Tinker Air Force Base History, "Maj. Gen. Clarence L. Tinker, an Oklahoma native and part Osage Indian, lost his life while leading a group of LB-30 bombers on a mission against the Japanese in the region of Wake Island on June 7, 1942. Accordingly, Gen. H.H. "Hap" Arnold ordered the installation named Tinker Field on Oct. 14, 1942." On January 13, it became a permanent installation and was renamed "Tinker Air Force Base." A number of my friends in the University of Oklahoma MBA program were stationed at Tinker.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...