Sunday, August 15, 2010

BOOK: A History of Postcards

A History of Postcards: A Pictorial Record from the Turn of the Century to the Present Day
I happened upon a copy of Martin Willoughby's A History of Postcards: A Pictorial Record from the Turn of the Century to the Present Day (1992) at a local antique mall, so, of course, I had to get it.

While I'm not sure I'd pay full price for the book, I am glad I found a bargain copy. There is more textual history here than in The Postcard Century by Tom Phillips, and it includes reproductions of some fun novelty cards as well as war time cards, including a coded message sent to the London War Office. Willoughby explains changes in postcard style and regulations over time, and concludes in the late 1980s with some music postcards.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...